Wednesday, June 06, 2007

more than meets the eye

My weekly flyer-email from eReader.com spotlights a special on the new Transformers book based on the movie. Normally I wouldn't look twice at something like this, as books based on movies don't tend to be all the good and if you don't even know how good the movie will be outside of the whizzbang special effects you have seen in the trailers, well, what's the point? But in this case I was aroused by something unexpected. The book, based on the movie, is written none other than Alan Dean Foster. While in the greater scheme of literature Alan Dean Foster may be considered more of a Sci-Fi/Fantasy pulp artist and film novelization powerhouse (alien, Starwars, etc...) I fondly recall reading many of his books as an adolescent. The Flinx series, which apparently is still receiving new installments, and other Humanx Commonwealth novels, the Spellsinger series, as well as just stand alone novels he'd written like Quozl and The Vanishing Point. The thing about Foster is that while he is very prolific, he is also incredibly readable. His prose does not seem to suffer from the sheer volume he puts out. This is just a tidbit. Maybe I'll look up some of his newer novels and see if they spark my interest. Check out his wikipedia entry or visit his homepage if you are interested in seeing what I'm talking about.

No comments: