Monday, June 19, 2006

feels like a first

We went and ordered shades for the downstairs yesterday. While at Home Depot I said, "Can't wait for them to come." and the helper person (they're not really sales people, you know) says, "You know, you can get temporary shades," and I said "yeah, *I* wanted to do something like that but somebody was against the whole plan..."(nudging and hinting with my eyebrows towards Andrea). Of course, the plan I was talking about was buying cheapo blinds or shades to just hang until we could slowly get the real-deal ordered and set up, even piecemeal if necessary (that shit is expensive, yo!).

Well, of course, that was a bit of a bonehead plan on my part and Andrea put the kybosh on it post-haste. But what the home-depotee was talking about was just these pleated paper shades that have a post-it like adhesive on one end and hang down. Sure, they look like party decorations and they block like only 5% of the light, but you can't see through them and they only take 1 minute to install (2 minutes if you need to cut them down to size with a craft knife). So we bought those and I put them up and suddenly the non-stop parade of pedestrians on our sidewalk (and the razzmatazz of the wandering crackies and crackettes across the street) was instantly muted from our lives. I kinda missed it. But the privacy was nice. Especially up in our room. We can now change our clothes with the lights on! And I think I did sleep a little better without the sun light crashing into our room in the morning, but instead slowly oozing in through the white paper shades.
Yes, it looks low-rent on the inside, but it is such an improvement.
The guy across the street (where the crackies are always going) has a quilt pinned up over his window. Hello, welcome to the trailer park.

No comments: