Thursday, June 29, 2006

cleaning house

I am having our checkout from the old apartment on Friday. Handing over the keys and doing the old damage-deposit (a.k.a. here's a month's worth of rent for you because I never took pictures of this shithole when we moved in to prove that this WAS the condition it was in when we moved in...) dance.

So, that means I have been heading over to the old apartment to try to clean up as much as possible and reclaim as much damage deposit as possible. I don't know why but when I look at the cleaning list it doesn't look so formidable, but every night when I head over there I seem to be faced by a mountain of cleaning that never seems to get smaller. Granted, I spent the first two days scouring the refrigerator and stove inside an out and scraping up mouse poop from behind them both, and then giving evetrything the primary once-over to remove to top layer of filth so that the real cleaning can begin.

I think what I neally need is a solid plan. Right now i am easily distracted or diverted and distracted. I will start cleaning one thing and then in mid-stride switch to somethign else...so I end up cleaning bits and pieces of everything but not necessarily completing cleaning anything and at the end of the day it feels like I've barely made a dent when in fact I have made several dents.

Of course...I'm not sure what I am so worried about. It's not like I'm counting on that money to pay for my first month's rent at the new place (though it definitely would help!) and I don't have to worry about getting a good rental reference (not any time soon anyway!). I guess I've just never liked dealing with landlords about anything. Something about every interaction that seems so clearly defined in terms of the power dynamic. I don't like dealing with people who are holding something (like fiduciary responsibility) over me. I don't like feeling like i can't tell someone to go screw themselves if I really feel that they should, you know, go screw themselves.

No, i don't think we'll get nailed so much for the standard stuff. It's probably going to come down to stuff like pet damage they'll dig up. All I can really say is that regardless of getting done in time or not at all, come Friday I will be cutting the final strings between Will & Andrea renters and Will & Andrea homeowners. It feelsl ike after the checkout is behind me, my new life can really begin.

Actually, it's probably just that I want to get this very time consuming anf money related project and milestone behind me. sigh. I haven't had to move out of anywhere in 3+ years. This is just another thing I absiolutely hate about moving. The place is freakin falling apart anyway, so they'll have to in the least repaint, so whats the point in me putting a ton of effort into cleaning everything if they're going to have to do it anyway? Yeah, I know, that argument won't fly with them.
Lemme tell ya, 3 years of Will & Andrea puts a hell of a lot of wear and tear on anything.

BTW: Andrea has finally started seeing a chiropractor that I was referred to by a coworker and her back is getting better. This woman specializes in prenatal chiropractitioning(?).

No comments: