Monday, January 21, 2008

MLK

Hey, guess what holiday I'm not used to having off from work is being celebrated today, by me, at work?

Yes. I come in and the hallway is dark and there's one guy here and he seems surprised to see me.
I asked, "Are we closed?" and he says (verbatim), "It's a holiday dude!"
"Oh...well, I'm here today."
Yeah, well this threw me a little bit. See, MLK is Jan 15th and today is Jan 21. But I guess MLK is like Presidents day where it may BE on a particular date but for some reason it is recognized on a specific Monday (providing everyone with a 3-day weekend). Also, for the past seven years I've worked in a place where MLK was not specifically a day off from work. You could take it off, to be sure, (you'd get some weird looks if you are whitey, though). I don't even know if schools kids get the day off in the middle west where I'm technically from. But here in NYC, they place is rather ghosty. I got to sit down on the ride in.

Well, just was well, since i was out for the last half of last week due to illness (and covering for the ill). And after that super long "weekend" I was not going to be staying home today. No sir-ee bob. So Andrea and i might meet up later and go see a movie.

No comments: