Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Bloggersphere

I got to introduce myself to the rest of the IT at today's staff meeting. Other points of note, we're looking at starting our own company "blog" and just "three years behind everyone else." (not my words) Heh, its a fun place. I like it.

Got email from our agent and the house situation is starting to sound a little better, just not better enough. Not yet, anyway.

Also got email from Mom, a internet junk mail about a little kid's school essay about why he believes in God. I responded back...twice. Hope it doesn't come off too snidely...I'm just a little worn out with it. Richard Dawkins may be an asshole when it comes to his rabid attacks on religion, but he makes a very good point. Why should people's religions be held in greater esteem than other aspects of their personal lives? You can joke around about all sorts of things, but don't mess with a person's religious beliefs, their convictions. Oh no, not that! Even if they believe a DIFFERENT religion, you should still respect that. Yeah? Then why not respect a woman's right to have an abortion? I don't mean her legal right, I mean her belief in it. That's just like religion. It's something she believes without any real factual basis, just something she knows because maybe someone told her and it seemed right to her. Or how about respecting a religion where the women are mutilated so as not to experience pleasure from the acts of sex? It's just as valid a religion as the rest of them, but somehow the fact that some part of it is so distasteful that it overrules the sacred protection that religion gets as part of the social contract. And don't get me started on the gays. You can honestly say, with a straight face, that you can respect Mohammed Jihadmiester's personal belief in Islam but somehow Adam and Steve are an abomination because they want to live together for the rest of their lives and keep each other company and happy, just like Merle and Edie have been doing for thousands of years? Gimme a break. Hate-crime laws and legalized gay marriage, that's the real war on terror.

I appreciate the crazy street preachers and the mad dog fundamentalists because at least with them you are allowed to view religion in the proper context.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Not that you need a commentary on your comment but I felt the need to speak up. :) I think a large part of what you're describing falls into two categories (almost completely derived from our social condition in this country): 1) I can't express myself effectively when I criticize your beliefs so I feel insecure and must now hate you. 2) We're pressured into not discussing openly and/or having a critical debate about our difference in beliefs (in public) and with some retard as an atagonist I get frustrated with the inability to tell you how I feel and since it's against the law to lash out physically (and I'll be outcast for lashing out verbally) I must now loathe and detest you quietly because I don't have the balls to tell the rest of society to fluff off. OR, possibly: I'm not in touch with my inner demons enough to realize that I can't stand living in such close proximity to a large group of idiots anymore and, lacking sufficient means of relief, I hate ... anything that offers itself as a target.

Will said...

I'm not sure I get exactly how your comment pertains to my post, but interesting nonetheless. Also, I can't figure out from the rapidly switching pronouns (we/I/you/retard/etc.), if it is you, you, or the royal "you", that you are using and if the "I" is the first person perspective of the hypothetical retard you mentioned or if "I" is really you, and maybe you is really me? Yes, retard isn't really a pronoun...but you get the point. Anyway, great to hear from you. Still don't know what exactly your talking about here though.

Next caller please...You're on the air.