Tuesday, July 04, 2006

those aren't fireworks

And a happy 4th to everyone out there in blogreaderland. As it is the anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, all patriotic Americans are practicing their God given (because in most places it is actually illegal) right to engage in the use of small explosive charges. So, you get used to hearing the cherrybombs and what not going off sporadically throughout the day.

Around 10-10:30 Andrea and I were eating breakfast at the dining room table and reading our respective reading materials when we heard "pap-pap-pap-pap". Andrea looked at me. "That didn't sound like fireworks." "No," I said, "those were gunshots." It sounded like they were just down the street. I fought the urge to run to the window and look around and see what I could see. Never know when there might be more gunshots. Besides, they sounded close, but not THAT close. So we went about our business. Several several hours later Andrea went out. She and Glen decided that today they were GOING to go to a beach and go swimming. Andrea calls me from her cellphone, "Uh, they have the streets all blocked off...I don't know if I can even get through to the other side of the highway." Well, ok, so now its hours later and i go outside and there's the police circus with the flashing lights and crime scene tape and everything blocking off the intersection of Chicago and 35th street.

Oh, the real reason I went outside was to set up a barricade over our parking spot in front of the house. Whenever something major happens at Powderhorn (I'm talking about fireworks and music at that park, not the shooting) it becomes hellish to park. SO I'm blocking off the parking spot for Andrea so she has somewhere to park when the yget back from their beach trip.

So setting out some metal chairs with "No Parking" signs and rope and whatnot and some crackety cracker says something like "That's a good idea!" and I asked him what happened, if that was from the gunshots this morning. Well, this guy was a wealth of information. Like right out of a movie. I asked him if it was a robbery or a gang shooting and he said, "Oh this was a gang shooting all the way. That guy ratted on somebody for something that happened in North Minneapolis last week so they came down here to get him. He sure didn't live through that. He ran into Toni's [Market] to try and get away." So, whever all thisbackground came from, I don't know. The guy had scabs on his arms and was missing teeth. One of those guys who just loves to talk to anyone who will listen. A lot of times the best way to disengage that type of guy is to just stop talking and walk away.

Here's the first article on the shooting.

No comments: