Friday, December 01, 2006

"working at home"

I'm doing a domestic shift today, staying home with Felix to give A a break. Started the day off right too...Ash kept waking us up last night so at 4:00am I took him out back so he could pee. Came back in and went to bed. An hour later he was back at it. I shushed him and went back to sleep. I eyes snapped open twenty minutes later to the smell of dog shit. Right in the center of the living room. Ash has his issues, but incontinence isn't really one of them unless he's left alone in an enclosed space (in which case he gets freaked out, pees (or poops if the space is large enough), then freaks out even more because he just peed or pooped and knows it was the wrong thing to do. Anyway...the point is, our routine is to go out between 6:30 and 7:30am for a skate/run/walk/bikeride around the park. On weekends we might not make it out until 9, maybe 10am. So, he's demonstrated the ability to hold his poo for quite a while in the morning. So on the one hand, I guess I should have paid more attention when he was insistent, but on the other hand, I thought he was just being a brat (over the past few months he's been getting worse with requesting attention, competing with Felix). Wrong again! Anyway, so I cleaned it up. Thus started my "day off" which isn't a day off, its just a day working at home, on home stuff. So, why not start the day with a dirty nasty job? Ugh. In a few minutes I'm going to be washing all of the floors, which I might as well have done had the dog not dumped in the living room since its been at least a month and a half since the last time I did...maybe even longer, so they really could use it anyway.

Felix fell asleep on my shoulder while I wrote this. I don't think that he has fallen asleep in my arms since he was a month old. I coul be wrong. Maybe every time seems like the first time?

So, warning, I'm about to do the proud parent thing:
Every day Felix amazes us. Parents out there are probably nodding their heads while non-parents are probably smirking and making little gagging pantomimes. That's ok, I used to do the same thing. Honestly, I'm still a little wierded out when other people are interested in even just hearing about my kid, and they get all "awww" and "yeah, that's so great". I'm like, "What? Yeah of course *I* think he's great and I'll tell you he's great...but why are you getting so jazzed up by it?" I think babyhood is something of a drug and people like to get a contact buzz or something. Whatever!

I have yet to punch a stranger for touching my child without permission, but just you wait...it just might happen this shopping season. And now, back to work.

No comments: